Work – De La Warr Pavilion
Commissioned by – Herbrand Sackville, 9th Earl De La Warr
Location – Bexhill-on-Sea
One of the first Modernist buildings in the UK – De La Warr Pavilion is an icon of 1930s British Modernism. The original expansive metal-framed windows are still in place and the cubic shape is articulated beautifully with a curved helix staircase.
simple, light in appearance and attractive, suitable for a holiday resort
In the 1930s the Pavilion reflected the ideals and aspirations of a post-conflict age – leisure, culture and that healing seaside air.
After suffering bomb damage during World War II, it suffered mismanagement and misguided renovation in the following decades. Fortunately Grade One listing was achieved in 1986 and a successful £10 million refurbishment took place in 2003.
De La Warr Pavilion reopened to the public in 2005 as a centre for contemporary art and education.
De La Warr Pavilion
Original Architectural Model, 1934
Bridget Smith, Helix Staircase – De La Warr Pavilion
-Helen D. Cogswell